We hate, (and we can’t stress this enough: hate!) college debt. We want to help you and your kids avoid it. But college is expensive. One avenue for college savings is through a 529. And while we don’t love an instrument that ties up your money so you can’t use it until sometime in the future, there are some secrets we’d like to share about how to leverage 529s as one part of your college planning.
In this episode, we dig into the nitty-gritty of 529s. The 529 rules and landscape have changed in the past few years, and some challenges and barriers that were in place before have been broken down. That’s great! We want to tell you about those and how you can get the most out of 529s. And what about funding your kids’ and grandkids’ education beyond the 529? We get into that too.
What You Will Learn in This Episode:
- The three legs of college planning
- Recent changes in 529s you should know about
- How parents AND grandparents can use 529s to help with college (and pre-college) planning
- The importance of researching your state’s specific 529 plan structure
- How to get the tax deduction on 529 education expenses
- Helping with a child’s college expenses without sacrificing your retirement savings
- Some very cool, Uncommon ways to use 529 money for college expenses