Are you curious about Bitcoin and cryptocurrency in general? Want to understand more about it?
Well, Bryan is the man you want to talk to! This episode is a duocast, but mainly it is Phillip interviewing Bryan about the promise and potential pitfalls of cryptocurrency, specifically Bitcoin.
Some background is necessary to understand this episode better: Bitcoin is banking. Bitcoin can bank without intermediaries. That’s what makes it so powerful. Bitcoin uses peer-to-peer technology to operate with no central authority. Managing transactions and the issuing of bitcoins is carried out collectively by the network. Transactions are verified and recorded in a public distributed ledger called a blockchain.
Bitcoin was invented in 2008 by an unknown person or group of people using the name Satoshi Nakamoto.
This is some serious geekery, but we are convinced Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are not going anywhere. You will do well to understand it and potentially dip a toe into cryptocurrency to see if it is an investment that makes sense for you.
What You Will Learn in this Episode:
- What Bitcoin is and is not
- The history of Bitcoin and why it was developed
- How blockchain creates triple-ledger accounting
- Understanding Bitcoin mining
- How to buy Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies
- How cryptocurrency stacks up against the current banking system
- What to consider when thinking about investing in Bitcoin
- How “stable coins” fit into the cryptocurrency universe
- The Bitcoin Standard: The Decentralized Alternative to Central Banking
- Mastering Bitcoin: Programming the Open Blockchain
- The Internet of Money
- Try Coinbase: https://www.coinbase.com/join/dewhur_t