How do you recover from a terrible loss? And how do you honor the life of the person you lost? And most importantly, how do you create meaning out of heartbreak?
The Uncommon Life is about every aspect of life, the good times and the challenging times. That’s what makes this episode so meaningful for us. We talk with Matt and Haley Phillips, who are the parents of two beautiful children who they got to bring home from the hospital after giving birth – and one who did not come home with them.
Through their experience with their son Fletcher, you’ll find out how they came to understand grief in a way they had not experienced before. They wanted to honor Fletcher’s life and also help people who are going through similar circumstances.
We talk about the financial burdens of a hospital visit for childbirth, even when the child does not return home with you. We talk about what it means to start a charitable foundation from scratch. Hint: it’s not easy!
Matt and Haley Phillips started The Fletcher Foundation after the loss of their son through stillbirth. The Fletcher Foundation is for families who find themselves in a similar season of life, wondering how to cope with the financial and emotional burdens of such a loss.
There is a sacred pain in losing a child, and the Fletcher Foundation is about walking beside families who are going through that pain.
What You Will Learn in this Episode:
- The financial impact of miscarriage and stillbirth
- How to find support after a miscarriage or stillbirth
- What it’s like to build a non-profit from scratch
- How to be kind to yourself and to loved ones when tragedy strikes
- The challenge of raising money for a tragedy that doesn’t get talked about
- How to set up tax-exempt status for your charitable organization
- How to be there for people who are experiencing griefCreating meaning out of loss