What happens when you start a business, it seems pretty successful from the outside, but is it sucking your soul away? What do you do when your clients start to act more like pirates? Entrepreneurship is full of a lot of peaks and valleys. Getting through those valleys can be downright brutal.
On our most recent podcast episode, we have a candid conversation with Justin Wise, who built a very successful digital marketing company from scratch, watched it implode, and found the wherewithal to start rebuilding again.
Justin Wise studied to be a pastor, but found the digital communication part of that life to be more suited to him than having the title “pastor.” He went on to start what would become a very successful digital marketing company called Think Digital.
The company went through a phase where things were, to put it mildly, not going well. Justin does not hold back in describing the challenges of this time. Some colorful and downright icky analogies are used. But that’s just effective communication, folks! Having things fall apart is an entrepreneur’s worst nightmare. How do you come back from setbacks like this? How do you keep your faith intact? How does your family weather those storms?
For some solid answers and some great inspiration, our conversation with Justin will not disappoint.
What You Will Learn in This Episode:
- How to build a business from your existing network
- How to sell off aspects of your company and when that makes sense
- Why protecting status is a barrier to risk-taking
- The crucial role of supportive family and mentors to business success
- How to monetize your expertise
- Why communication with your management team is so important
- How to pick up the pieces when a business dies
- Building systems and processes so clients don’t walk all over you
- How to find a financial path forward without losing your soul
- Why people of faith should be more willing than others to take risks rather than play it safe