When you’re young, you don’t think twice about having a coach for soccer, baseball, field hockey – whatever sport you’re into. You need someone to coach you through the basics and show you the ropes. That all changes when you start adulting. You think you know everything. You don’t seek out those coaches and mentors who were clearly so instrumental in helping you learn and grow.
Episode #42 is all about getting over yourself and finding the right coach or mentor for whatever goal you’re pursuing. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness. It’s a sign that you are aware enough to know what you don’t know.
We are huge fans of coaches and mentors. And we have been at every point in a mentor/coach relationship. We have business coaches who have helped us set goals and get our business to the next stage. We have served as mentors to each other. And we cherish our role as financial coach to so many of you. It’s inspiring and humbling.
Remember that feeling when you made a great play, or struck the note you’d been practicing for so long? Remember looking to the sideline at how proud and excited your coach was for you? You need coaches and mentors in your life now just like you did as a kid. When it comes to crushing goals, learning and growing, it is hard to underestimate the power of good coaching and mentoring.
What You Will Learn in this Episode:
- Why coaches and mentors are so important to reaching our goals
- Getting over the stigma of asking for help
- The difference between mentoring and coaching
- Why getting too much advice can be as bad as not seeking advice
- When to seek out a mentor and when to seek out a coach
- How coaches and mentors can help you develop a plan
- How coaches help you get off the sidelines of your life
- The value of what coaches and mentors receive back from the relationship
- How to find your mentor or coach
- The importance of setting expectations with a coach or mentor